Grilled Meat and Veggies
Time changes tonight already, and spring will arrive soon. Know what that means? Time to bring the grilling gear out. In my household, we don’t wait for weather temperatures to go way high before grilling. In fact, this afternoon my hubby grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, onions, and mixed veggies for dinner (we like to grill extra so there will be plenty of leftovers). The aroma of those wood chips on the burning coals – AH!
In my household, we don’t wait for weather temperatures to go way high before grilling. In fact, this afternoon my hubby grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, onions, and mixed veggies for dinner (we like to grill extra so there will be plenty of leftovers). The aroma of those wood chips on the burning coals – AH! I love it.
The last time we grilled onions, they turned out really good. So this time, we decided to do more onions. This is how you do the onions:
- Use sweet onions.
- Slice the onions real thin.
- Place them in a piece of rectangle-size foil.
- Fold over the top of foil from end to end.
- Twist the ends.
- Place the onions wrapped in foil on the grill until tender. This takes approximately 20 minutes on our grill. Check them after about 15 minutes since they vary according to different types of grills.
On Thursday, I went to the local farmers market and saw the most beautiful vegetables I’ve ever noticed before. There were gorgeous colored cauliflower and Swiss chard. I couldn’t resist the chard. It was so pretty. What a reason to buy a vegetable, right? I’ve eaten it before but have never cooked it. It was definitely worth the purchase.
When my hubby saw the veggies I was cooking on the griddle in the kitchen, he suggested that we put them in foil like the onions. Wow! I wouldn’t have thought of it. It was an excellent idea. I liked the outcome so much that I’ve decided to share my recipe with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Grilled Mixed Vegetables
Grilled Vegetable Medley
- 2-3 Swiss Chard Leaves and Stems
- 1/2 Sweet Onion Slices
- 1/2 Eggplant Sliced Lengthwise
- 1 Yellow/Orange Beet with Greens
- Fresh Dill - a pinch
- Fresh Oregano - a pinch
- Cilantro - a pinch
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- Wash raw vegetables with vegetable wash or in a bowl of white vinegar mixed with water.
- Slice vegetables.
- Slice beet in thin small pieces.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise, then in thin small pieces.
- Chop greens.
- Add coconut oil to heated griddle (approx. 350 degrees)
- Cook all vegetables together (approx. 10 minutes on each side or until tender)
- Wrap inside foil, folding over top and twisting ends of foil.
- Put the vegetables on the grill to top off with a wood-smoke grill flavor.