Hot summer days inspire chilled recipes.
Summer heat waves make you want to stay inside where it’s cool. On days when the temperatures go into triple digits, you need central air. All water coolers do by that time is blow hot air inside.
Such hot days make me want to eat recipes for chilled fruit or veggies. Appetites lessen somewhat on a scorching day. Here are a number of recipes to cool you down while weathering the heat:
Beet (with the beet greens) and berry smoothie!
Start your day with this appetizing drink. Who needs coffee when you can enjoy a breakfast blender meal that looks like a shake? Beets and the greens are nutritious. Blend in a handful of blackberries. Mmmm!
A Bowl of Fruit
Slice a banana and mix it with blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries.
Fresh fruit pudding
Chilled Fruit Pudding
(see the recipe below)
Mango, Peach, and Mandarin Orange Pudding
- 1 large box Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1 fresh peach
- 1 fresh mango
- 2 packages no-sugar Mandarin Oranges
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 5 tea wafers (small rectangle vanilla flavored cookies found at Walmart)
- Mix pudding according to directions - except use 1 cup buttermilk and 2 cups milk.
- Peel the peach and mango, then cut in small pieces.
- Mix the fruit in with the pudding.
- Add whipped topping, and stir well.
- Top with crushed wafers.
Chilled Corn and Kidney Bean Salad
I just had to include my sweet & spicy corn and bean salad picture for a preview. Come back for a visit tomorrow for the recipe. 🙂
Fresh strawberry buttermilk/milk – Ahh, a dessert drink for breakfast
or to be enjoyed any time of the day.
It’s all SOOO good! Let me know if you try one of the recipes. Tell me what you think or share if you get inspired to make your own version.