Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Tomato soup brings back memories from way back for me. I attended the first five years of elementary school in an East Texas town where there was a square. That meant that the courthouse was in the center of the square, and there were businesses across the streets from the courthouse. The school allowed children to walk to the square for lunch if their parents signed a permission slip. My parents gave the okay for me to walk the block to the square for lunch. It was the highlight of any school day for me.
There was a drugstore on the square that had a fountain, the old-fashioned kind where you sit on the stools at the counter and order a vanilla malt, coke, and a hamburger – or a grilled cheese sandwich. Every time, I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and a coke and sat in one of the two booths they had. On my way back to school, I stopped at an auto supply store on the square to see my big brother. The store kept a giant jar of big dill pickles, and my brother always gave me one to eat on my way back to school.
Memories. Certain foods bring back the feelings of home, family, friends, and fun times in our lives. Maybe that’s why I like grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup so much. Or maybe I like them both because they simply taste delicious together. I’ve liked tomato soup all of my life. My mother always kept a few cans of soup in the pantry. Tomato, cream of chicken, and chicken noodle soups are the ones I especially remember.
The tomato soup I like to make is Zesty Tomato Soup. Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches, and you have a quick meal for the family.
Zesty Tomato Soup with Toppings
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 2 cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups Slow Cooker Stewed Tomatoes (or use 1 large can of stewed tomatoes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- grated cheese
- green onions, if desired
- Put everything in slow cooker except the cream, cheese, and croutons.
- Cook on high 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- If you have a slow cooker with the "Buffet" or "simmer", you can choose either of them for cooking for a longer time.
- Add the cream at the last part of cooking.
- Top with grated cheese and croutons.
- Optional: green onions or other desired toppings
- For creamier soup, put the tomatoes in the blender on grind, grate, or to a texture of creamy that you like.
Make the soup creamier with more heavy cream or chunkier by less cream.