Boxed Kraft Mac & Cheese in the Slow Cooker
Macaroni and cheese – I can’t get away from it. Remember the Creamy Cheesy Chicken in the Slow Cooker I blogged about? When I made that recipe, my daughter knew it didn’t turn out just like I had intended. She surprised me that evening after she returned from a meeting. She walked in the door and asked my toddler granddaughter, “Will you go give this to Grummy?”
My little grand handed me a box of Kraft Velveeta Shells and Cheese. I laughed. We were determined to get that recipe just right. And my two little granddaughters and their mommy and daddy LOVE good ol’ macaroni and cheese).
Actually, my most favorite macaroni and cheese recipe is a homemade one I used to make often with large elbow macaroni. There are a variety of recipes to make with macaroni. My mother used to make a delicious huge pot of what we call goulash down South. One of the ingredients was large elbow macaroni. Like suspense? Good. I’ll tell you more about these two recipes in a later blog post. You’ll have something to look forward to because Mother’s goulash dish is the best I’ve ever had.
Easy Mac & Cheese
All you need in this recipe is water and your favorite box of macaroni and cheese. Save the cheese to put in at the last.
Easy Peasy Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- 2 Boxes Kraft Velveeta Shells and Cheese
- 6 Cups Cold Water
- Pour water into slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on low.
- Add macaroni.
- Cook for an hour, then stir and taste to see if the macaroni is al dente.
- Continue to check to see if the pasta is done (every 15-20 minutes).
- When macaroni is a firm texture (al dente), drain, but don't rinse the pasta.
- Return macaroni to cooker pot and mix in cheese sauce.
Cooking time depends on your slow cooker. In this recipe, the macaroni was done at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The packets of cheese were added in then. It was perfect and creamy.
This recipe is for lovers of boxed Mac & Cheese. Individuals have different tastes. If yours is the simple box flavor, go for it. The purpose of this blog post and recipe is to let you know it’s possible to cook boxed macaroni and cheese in the slow cooker.
Why Cook Boxed Macaroni and Cheese in a Slow Cooker?
Why cook such a simple boxed meal in a slow cooker when it’s just as easy to cook on the stove?
- You may be cooking a large meal for a group of people or guests, using all of the burners on your stove, and needing to cook an extra side dish of pasta.
- The stove may not be working, and you have to cook in a different cooking appliance. I’ve experienced that in my fixer upper place. When I would cook on the stove or oven, at times it would trip the breaker. Such times require some ingenuity. A little creativity is all it takes. Cook in electric appliances like a slow cooker, microwave, toaster (yes, even the toaster – it’s great for breakfast), griddle, and grill.
When have you needed to get creative with cooking appliances and come up with great recipes and meals? I’d love to hear your stories. You can share them in the comment section.
Thank You for Visiting Kitchen Hospitality!
Blog Linking Party: