Starting off the new year with low inventory in the kitchen pantry? Recipe creations and different menus can be great fun when you’re trying to make ends meet or waiting until payday.
One of the menus I’ve come up with since January 1st is potato soup and Charro beans. You could eat either without the other, but I tried something different this time. Put the beans in a bowl first, then the potato soup over the beans, and top it all with grated cheddar cheese. I’ve added it to my comfort food list. SOOO good. Cornbread would make a great side for this new potato-bean soup, but I didn’t think of it in time.
Taco soup has been a favorite of mine for years. This past weekend I made it different than my previous recipes. That’s because I used my on-hand style of creating recipes. Whatever is on hand in the pantry determines how I make the recipe. For this taco soup on-hand version, I used the ingredients in the recipe below. It’s a first and worth skipping out-to-eat-after-Sunday-church lunch.
Pantry-Style Taco Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 box or can beef broth
- 1 can corn (not drained)
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 1 large can Charro beans
- 2 cans diced chiles and tomatoes
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- 1 packet any brand of taco seasoning mix\
- sour cream
- green onions
- grated cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
- Brown beef and drain.
- Mix all ingredients with beef except chips, cheese, green onions, and sour cream.
- Add mixture to crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Come home from Sunday church, and place chips into bowls.
- Pour soup over chips.
- Add sour cream, chopped green onions, and grated cheese on top of taco soup.
- You just saved yourself some money by crockpot cooking at home - give yourself a pat on the back and
Serve this on-hand taco soup with baked potato toppings (chopped green onions, sour cream, and grated chees), and you will want a second helping. Try it with tortilla chips or Fritos (makes it taste like Frito Pie).
There are so many options to taco soup recipes – they’re all good!
Blog parties I’m visiting today: