October is a pleasant time of the year with summer behind us and days finally feeling like fall. It’s a season of enjoying fall foliage, having family fun at pumpkin patches, and baking favorite recipes.
Full Plate Thursday is one of my favorite recipe parties to join online. If you want to try out a new dish or share one of your own, check out Miz Helen’s Country Cottage. This past Thursday I visited To Simply Inspire’s blog by Sherri and discovered a wonderful recipe for Pumpkin Pie Smoothie that I added to the smoothie board at Kitchen Southern Hospitality Pinterest so I can find it quickly. Sherri’s smoothie recipe looked so good that I wanted to try it right then. Since I didn’t have all of the ingredients for it, I improvised and made a similar version.
The recipe below is what I came up with from my kitchen.
- 1/2 – 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 small package sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons Half and Half
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped Cream
- Put everything into a blender (except Whipped Cream) on chop, grind, or grate then blend.
- Pour into glass, and top with Whipped Cream.
- Pour the remainder into a container and store in the frig.
- (Makes a good pudding, too.)
This Pumpkin Pudding Smoothie is rich and thick. It could actually be used for a pudding instead. To make it less thick, more milk could be added. If I had yogurt on hand like in the original recipe, Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, that would have been perfect.
Baked delicious treats are very tempting during October’s trunk or treats and harvest festivals. I love to entertain friends and make goodies for my toddler granddaughter. Seasonal desserts are so tempting to make. Sweets can quickly cause a sugar high, though, so I went on a virtual pumpkin smoothie tour and discovered several that I am anxious to try. Check these links out for nutritious smoothies:
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Smoothie
- Chocolate Mocha Mudslide Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Power Smoothie
- Skinny Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Pumpkin Coconut Chai Smoothie
- Essential Recipe On Guard Pumpkin Smoothie
The recipes listed above look great to use for cutting back on sweets throughout fall and winter festivities. They are also perfect for the person with a sweet tooth to simply satisfy a pumpkin craving. Most of these smoothies seem like a good substitute for a rich dessert but just as tasty.