Today a sweet friend surprised me with an Irish dinner at my door! I’ve had vertigo for nearly two weeks, and she cooked enough for her family and me. The meal included corned beef, Irish potato, and carrots. She apologized for not bringing the cabbage, but it was still cooking at home. I was thrilled to be treated so kindly, cabbage or no cabbage.
I love the Irish Reuben sandwich, but I actually had planned to make a chicken salad sandwich (the corned beef dinner has me now craving the Reuben sandwich now). Having cooked a pot of garlic-seasoned chicken breasts ahead of time, I made chicken salad yesterday for lunch. A blogger gal friend, my hubby, and I finished it off. Not a problem, though. There was still plenty of chicken to make more.
Chicken salad surely should be included for healthy chicken Irish recipes I think. It’s a comfort food for me as well. Dealing with vertigo counts for needing comfort! My mother loved making chicken salad for sandwiches, and I think of her every time I make it.
Something about chicken suggests comfort. When I feel under the weather, it seems natural to cook a meal with chicken. Mother once sent some hot creamed chicken soup and crackers with my brother for me when he picked my daughter and me up at the airport. I had been ill. She believed chicken soup made everything better. The trip to the airport was an hour and a half, but she had wrapped a towel around the bowl of soup and placed it on a tray. It actually stayed very warm.
Feeling under the weather is a phrase started because of seasick passengers that headed under the deck of ships during stormy weather. Vertigo is about like being seasick. Interestingly, mine started on a plane.
Mother passed away in 2008, but I still feel comforted when I think of the touching things she did like sending that soup. A Mother’s touch and caring ways are never forgotten.
Tomorrow I’ll make more of the chicken salad like I had for lunch yesterday. It’s a good one, and I’ll share it with you.
- Garlic Seasoning
- Chicken Breasts
- Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1/3 Large Sweet Onion
- 3 Boiled Eggs
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Whole Grain Bread
- Season a package of chicken breasts with garlic seasoning of your choice (I used two garlic seasonings blended).
- Boil chicken ahead of time (about 40 minutes) and put in frig when cooled.
- The next day take out one or two of the pre-cooked chicken breasts.
- Shred chicken and place in a bowl.
- Add about a cup of mayonnaise, a cup of pickle relish chopped eggs and chopped onion.
- Mix together.
- Serve with a large spoonful of chicken salad on one side of bread slice.
- Put one or two large lettuce pieces on top of salad, then spread another spoonful of chicken salad on a second slice of bread.
- Put both together for a full sandwich, or serve open-faced style with an extra dollop of chicken salad on top of each piece of lettuce.
Comfort a family member or friend with the Garlic Chicken Salad recipe. You’ll make someone feel better, and that someone will remember you for your thoughtfulness.