Spaghetti squash has intrigued me for a long time. Gluten-conscious friends talk about it being an alternative to pasta. Bloggers write about its nutritional value. So last week I decided to buy one and try it. Although I grew up eating fresh vegetables from the garden, spaghetti squash was not one of them.
Finally, I took on the challenge of cooking the squash- after it set in the frig a few days. Inspired by Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls on Pinterest, I couldn’t wait to see what I could create with ingredients I had on hand. I came up with my own version of boiling the squash since I didn’t want to bake it.
The little sticky tag stuck on the outside of the vegetable instructed me to:
- Micro-Preheat whole squash 1 minute
- Halve lengthwise, remove seeds and membranes
- Place cut side down, in 1/4-1/2 cup water for approx. 12 minutes, or until fork tender
The directions didn’t mention cooking or boiling for that 12 minutes, just placing in water. One could pretty well figure out, however, that one minute in the microwave wouldn’t be enough time to thoroughly cook it. Keep in mind that I never had cooked one of these before. This is what I came up with:
Next I cut off the ends:
I put the squash in the microwave to cook for a minute then sliced it in half:
After digging out the insides of the squash, I rubbed each side with a cap-full of Olive Oil then placed both sides face down in a pot of 1/2 cup of water. Setting the stove timer for 12 minutes, I put the pot on the burner set on high. At 8 minutes the water was beginning to run out. I turned the burner to medium low and cooked about 2 more minutes. The result was a perfectly boiled squash that could easily be scraped into spaghetti-like noodles.
- One spaghetti squash
- Slice of butter
- Garlic and pepper spices
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, grated (1-2 T)
- Cheddar-Jack Cheese, grated (1-2 T)
- Chicken, shredded (optional)
- Slice ends off of spaghetti squash.
- Microwave squash for 1 minute.
- Slice lengthwise.
- Remove seeds and membranes.
- Rub a cap-full of olive oil on each side.
- Put both sides of squash face down in a pot of 1/2 cup water.
- Boil approx. 8 minutes on high.
- Turn burner to medium low and boil 2-4 minutes.
- Scrape inside of squash with a fork until you have a heaping mound of spaghetti-like noodles.
- Add spices, cheese, and butter on top.
- Microwave about a minute.
- Ready to eat!
The end result looked like this…
and it tasted SO good!
This cheese definitely gave it a delightful taste:
Top the cheesy garlic spaghetti squash with shredded chicken, beef or your favorite meat if you prefer.